Well, the unthinkable has happened. Donald Trump is our president-elect and right about now, it feels as if hell is closing in on us. Really. One has to question the broader implications about the fate of humanity when – instead of electing the most qualified presidential candidate in U.S. history – we’ve chosen to put into office a xenophobic reality star with zero public service experience and a penchant for grabbing women by the pu –
You know what? No. I am even not going to go there. I am not going to be all doom and gloom today and write about how we’ve essentially elected a monster to run the free world. Nope. Instead, I’m going to nip my apocalyptic hyperbole in the bud and hope he is a good president (woof) and avoid rehashing the sentiments you’ve already read in a million other blogs and op-eds penned by writers much more eloquent than I am. Instead, I’ll stick to what I know for sure.
And what I know for sure is that everything listed below is good and true and right in the world. No matter what happens or how dreary our future looks, no one can take this list away from us. Because in addition to holding loved ones tight and telling everyone how much you care for them and providing support to our fellow citizens/country dwellers/anyone in pursuit of the American dream (or any dream, really), we can’t forget to carve out time for those things in life that make it all a little more worthwhile, you know? Like…
- The sound of Terri Gross’ soothing voice on Fresh Air.
- Forgotten 90s classics on Netflix (e.g. Dazed and Confused, Tommy Boy, While You Were Sleeping, Chasing Amy, Out of Towners, Basic Instinct, The Doors..)
- Public parks with tons of trees and changing leaves and reminders of impermanence in general.
- Finding headphones in the pocket of that one coat you haven’t worn in a while.
- Amy Sedaris’ Instagram account.
- The unexpected free pickle on the side of your deli sandwich.
- Half off halloween candy.
- Warm sheets fresh out of the dryer. (I know. Everyone is well aware warm sheets are the best, but this is just a reminder because Dear Lord do we need coziness now more than ever…)
- The possibility of seeing a puppy on the street with an obliging owner who understands your need to hug something innocent right now.
- Accidentally smelling a waft of the perfume your grandma wore when you walk by a fragrance counter in a rush and you feel all the feelings at once.
- Meditation, because it’s calming and free and helps you quiet your mind, at least for a little while.
- Accidental fried cheese on the side of your grilled cheese sandwich.
- Youtube clips of Jerry Seinfeld in his early days.
- Warm showers.
- Sleep. Or at least your bed. Or at least your pillow. Any soft surface, really.
I know there is so much more good stuff out there, but for now, I hope this little list brings you some comfort. <3
And I would love to hear your additions in the comments section below.
Sending a huge hug your way. Let’s get through these next few years together, eh? XOXOXO.
Cover Photo: Andres Kudacki via The Cut.